Friday, October 5, 2012

so this girl has curls.

as you can see i have curly hair.

A strange thing happend a couple of days ago. I discovered i had curls. I know this sounds rediculous. How did i manage to not notice them before? I just brushed them right into straightness without even thinking about it.
I never put much thought into my hair. I grew up with ironflat hair, as a girl who hated to brush and loved playing in the sand. Since i was blessed with endless whirls on my head which when not brushing my hair led to dreadlocks so if  anybody tried to brush them out it resulted in a screaming kid who was afraid of brushes- so the cirlce began.

When my parents were finally fed up with it they cut my hair so short i was crying for days because i didn't feel as a girl anymore.

since then i always wore my hair somewhat short.

but when i hit puberty something strange happened. my hair started to curl up. i don't really know how and why that happened because all my siblings have silk smooth hair and my mom as well. My father might have wavyish hair but never really curly. I did some research recently and found out it had something  to do with hormones- anyway.

i noticied that when i didn't comb my hair after the shower my hair would be all messy and curly and all over the place.but i thought of it as wavy, at the most. since i has my childhood trauma about not being able to brush my hair, i always brushed it. even when my boyfriend said i looked cute with unbrushed hair i couldn't stand it.

i always wore my hair short for some reason, but a year ago (after a radical short haircut) i wanted to really try growing long hair. i always said to myself that this was impossible since i have really fine hair which gets frizzy and dry so ialways had to cut them before they could grow long.

So i started a journey to find methods which restores the health of my hair so i would not have to cut it. and after a long and tiring search in the internet i thought: why not try looking for information on how to treat curly hair?

it seems so obvious but it wasn't. I was introduced to a whole new world, in which you co-wash, and fingerbrush and use diffusors.

There is a big community who all struggle with the same difficulties. Who would have known?


Let me tell you, I am so happy i found this world because my hair feels healthy and shines and was shocked that everything i did to my hair before was really wrong. And if you don't have someone in you family who knows about those things it can be really hard to think outside the box.
but you should.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I love this! I have curly hair, too. It's kind of an afro actually! I used to straighten my hair all the time, and cut it all off almost 1 1/2 years ago and am in the process of growing it out. I'm starting to get reacquainted with my curly hair right now.

    xxx Sabrina
    http://bbutterflybrain.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete